If you are relitively new to European motorcycle touring, or from outside of Europe, it can be useful to have an overview for some of the best places and Countries to tour and explore by motorbike.
Europe is a motoryclists paradise, fabulous roads, mountains, vast countryside, big distances, no borders, all the way to eastern Europe.
Where are the nicest places to ride motorcycles in Europe?
Europe offers a wide range of scenic roads and beautiful landscapes for motorcyclists. Here are some of the nicest places to ride a motorcycle in Europe:
- The Alps: The mountain range that stretches across central Europe offers some of the most spectacular motorcycle rides in the world, with stunning scenery, hairpin bends, and panoramic views.
- Austrian Tirol: Less demanding and lower altitude than it’s taller Austrian sister mountain range! whilst equally beautiful, twisty, scenic, well paved roads and plentiful high quality accommodation with a great range of hotels and smaller b&b type guest houses.
- The Pyrenees: This mountain range on the border between France and Spain offers challenging routes with winding roads and breathtaking views.
- Scotland: Scotland’s rugged and picturesque landscape offers stunning coastal roads, sweeping mountain passes, and winding routes through the Scottish Highlands. Also lots of friendly well priced B&B’s throughout the region.
- The Black Forest: The Black Forest in southwestern Germany offers beautiful scenery, charming towns, and winding roads through dense forests and rolling hills. B500 and surrounding areas is a must do ride. There is a huge choice of high quality accommodation.
- The Italian Lakes: The region around Italy’s famous lakes, including Lake Como and Lake Garda, offers beautiful scenery and winding roads through charming towns and picturesque landscapes. Of-course, there are numurous fabulous mountain roads to reach there from Austria, if high altitude, hair-pin bends are your thing! The slight downside can also be the slighly eratic driving style, where half the population think they hold F1 racing licenses!
- The Spanish coast: Spain’s Mediterranean coast offers beautiful coastal roads with stunning sea views, as well as winding routes through the rugged mountains of Andalusia. Masses to explore as you head inland, off the beaton track also.
- The Croatian coast: Croatia’s Adriatic coast offers beautiful coastal roads and breathtaking views of the sea, as well as winding routes through the rugged Dinaric Alps.
- Slovakia, perhaps I saved the best until last! what do you think? send me your feedback and any ideas you have discovered yourself. For me, everything about Slovakia is just perfection, especially by 2 wheels. The Tatra mountains are fabulous, it’s a popular location for European skiers, for good reason! hotels are well priced, there’s great variety, intruguing villages and a constant fresh smell of pines in the air. Look up the Slovakia touring page for more inspiration on what to see and where to visit.
We travel through much of these regions on the 10 Country 2 weeks east europe tour.
These are just a few of the many great places to ride a motorcycle in Europe. Each region has its own unique charm and beauty, making Europe a popular destination for motorcycle enthusiasts from around the world.
See also; more detailed European motorbiking routes, ideas and tips
For more information, or any feedback, I am always pleased to hear from you.
Contact me, Steve Hotson – Motoexplorer